Friday 11 January 2008

The Prince - part 3

10.

EXT/ INT

We see the city covered with snow. Beggars and poor people run up and down the streets. A man, John, the astrologist, walks to the palace, looking at the people around him.

VOICE OVER
That winter, in the beginning of a new year, the prince called for me.


INT. John enters the cabinet of the prince.

The prince:
You haven’t visited me in quite a while. Are you angry? Tell me the truth.

John:
The Devil entered you house, my lord.

The prince:
Nonsense! He’s just a wise man, like you are.

John:
He lies.

The prince:
Who doesn’t? Maybe you two should work together.

John:
Oh, I can’t work with him. He’s the Devil, we don’t fit!

The prince:
Stubborn old man! Now tell me, what’s the year going to be like? What do the stars tell you?

John:
[opening a book]
This year, my lord, is ruled by Aquarius. The state will be troubled and so will be the men in your court. But you’ll get good news from the empire…

The prince:
[thinking out loud]
So my cousin does a good job there…

John:
A city by the sea, in the east, will get restless. The masters should mind the servants in their homes and be careful when they eat or drink…

The prince:
What does that mean?

John:
Who knows?... The great man is troubled and does not know what he wants anymore… so he must not despair…

The prince:
[troubled]
That’s enough for today. Go meet the stranger!

John:
[standing up and closing the book]
Never! I speak to God, he speaks to Satan!

The prince:
It will come a time when you’ll join your forces… Go now!

John kisses his hand and walks away from the room. The prince stands up, takes a short look on the window, then leaves the room.


11.

INT. The prince walks down a hall leading to Octavian’s room. When he reaches the door, he peaks into the room through a small hole in the door. A candle burns in the young man’s place. Books and magical objects are scattered all over the room. Octavian hears a sound, stands up and asks:

Octavian:
Is that you?

The prince keeps silent. Octavian, as if convinced he is alone, picks up a wipe, turns his back to the door, gets on his knees, takes his clothes off and starts wiping himself. After a while, he asks again:

Octavian:
Is that you?

The prince is silent.

Octavian:
Then let me punish myself!

He wipes himself even harder. His back is full of blood, but he doesn’t make any sound. The prince, troubled by the scene, opens the door, goes to Octavian, throws away the wipe and makes him stand up.

The prince:
Stop it, you foul!

Octavian has tears in his eyes.

Octavian:
You came! I was waiting for you! Please forgive me!

The prince:
I forgive you!

Octavian:
[grabbing the prince’s hands, with happiness on his face]
I wrote a sonnet for you…

The prince:
[touched]
Oh...

Octavian, with tears and mixed emotions on his face starts telling the poem.

Octavian:
Veggio nel tuo bel viso, Signor mio,
Quel ……
….

The prince is touched in the beginning, but his face changes in an instant and he starts yelling

The prince:
You fool! Do you think I’m stupid? Who are you lying to? That’s Michelangelo’s sonnet to Tomasso Cavalieri! I’ll feed you to the dogs!

The prince exits the room. Octavian sits on the bed for a while, thinking. Afterwards, he begins to pack the things in the room.

No comments: