Sunday 13 January 2008

The Prince - part 5

16.

INT. A church. The walls are covered with paintings and there is no priest. The prince is praying. Helen and the three children sit silent in corner, as if they fear to disturb him. A guard enters the church, walks to the altar, pushes Octavian in front of the prince and he leaves without any word.

Octavian:
[without watching, with his head touching the floor]
Have pity on me, Your Greatness!

THE PRINCE:
[cold]
How am I to pity my enemies?

OCTAVIAN:
[taking a dagger out of his clothes]
Than kill me with your divine hand!

The prince takes the dagger, caresses the blade with his thumb and then puts the dagger under Octavian’s chin, forcing him to look up and eventually to stand up.

THE PRINCE:
Get up! Don’t make me sad ever again!

From her corner, Helen looks at them with fear and hate.

OCTAVIAN:
[sincere]
I told you I was lying… I… I saw the dead man… he has no eyes…

THE PRINCE:
He stood there for you. I could have saved him, but I didn’t. The ravens ate your eyes.

OCTAVIAN:
[grabbing his hands with passion]
I know I hurt you. I am sorry.

Helen takes her children and rushes out of the church, with tears on her face. The two men don’t even notice her exit.

THE PRINCE:
[turning to the statue of Jesus]
Pray with me!

OCTAVIAN:
I never pray.

THE PRINCE:
So you deny God?

OCTAVIAN:
[sarcastic]
No… no… I’m just not a very big fan.

THE PRINCE:
John warned me you were the Devil…

OCTAVIAN:
That fool, old man? I’m ruled by ration, not by the Devil!

The prince makes the sign of the cross and they begin to walk to the exit.

THE PRINCE:
You know, Octavian, it could do me good if you took care of my entertainment. Organize some parties, or maybe a mask ball. This palace makes me sick. I’d leave it tomorrow.

OCTAVIAN:
It’s your own mind the one you must leave, not the palace. You’re a prisoner of yourself, and you don’t even know it.

THE PRINCE:
The stillness of this winter tears me apart. Can you hear this silence screaming?... we are at the end of the earth…

Cut to: Evangeline, who listens their conversation from outside, her ear stuck to the door of the church. It’s snowing outside and the big flakes are blown away by the fast wind.

Cut to: The prince and Octavian, who are slowly walking to the exit.

OCTAVIAN:
Why don’t you just awake your court instead? It could be entertaining.

THE PRINCE:
How? They have no soul. They’re empty.

OCTAVIAN:
[with that little madness in his eyes again]
Make them spy one other. Or you can torture the innocent, so you can drive the guilty insane. That’s the proof of power… Make best friends hate each other… [with an evil smile]Oh, that would be a masterpiece!

THE PRINCE:
You’re frightening.

OCTAVIAN:
Yes, but then we won’t be so bored anymore. Come on… do it for me!

THE PRINCE:
[truly frightened by the young man]
Jesus… what are you pushing me towards?

OCTAVIAN:
[passionate and evil]
To the perfection of you power!

Cut to: Evangeline, who sits outside the church, listening and crying. The snow outside slowly turns red, like blood.


17

INT.
The same ball room we already know. In a corner, the prince and Octavian talk as if the rest of the world does not exist. Helen watches them from another corner. Antonia, the prince’s cousin, approaches her. She looks as beautiful as ever.

Antonia:
Are you upset, my dear cousin?

Helen:
No, just a little tired. I didn’t get much sleep lately.

Antonia:
You should tell you husband to take better care of you… and your sleep!

Helen:
Oh, my husband must take care of the state, not of his wife.

Antonia:
[looking at Octavian and the prince]
The young man… what do you know of him?

Helen:
What do you mean?

Antonia:
Does he have anyone?

Helen:
I don’t know… [with suspicion] but why would you care?

Antonia:
[laughing]
Oh, my dear cousin, we shall not be young forever… we must take advantage of our youth now!

And she walks away laughing, to the corner where the prince and Octavian talk. In a different corner, some fellows speak about the prince and his young friend.

Fellow 1:
I don’t like this foreigner. The prince doesn’t have any time for his old servants any longer.

Fellow 2:
I’ve heard they spend all the days together…

Fellow 3:
[whispering]
And all the nights…

Fellow 2:
Hush! Don’t you say things like that? Do you want to get us killed?

Fellow 1:
That would explain why our lady is getting sadder and sadder…

Fellow 3:
I’ve heard the prince has not slept in her room for a month now…

Fellow 2:
I don’t want to hear these things. Him who knows too much is not safe these days!

Antonia is near the prince and Octavian.

Antonia:
[to the prince]
Dear cousin, you have not yet properly introduced me to your young and, may I say, handsome friend…

The prince:
[smiling with grace]
Please forgive my mistake, beautiful Antonia…

Octavian kisses Antonia’s hand.

Octavian:
I’m your humble servant, my lady… The sight of you enlightens my day.

Antonia:
[sensual]
Your lips speak sweet words… Are words the only thing you are good at, Octavian?

The prince:
[whispering in her ear]
Beware of him… he is a fatal man!

Octavian:
The things I’m good at are for others to decide, my lady… Maybe, in time, you’ll find out…

The prince:
[with a bit of jealousy in his voice]
Octavian, have I ever mentioned to you that sweet Antonia here killed her first three husbands?

Antonia:
[laughing]
Dear cousin, don’t give me credit for that! They all died of natural death.

Octavian:
[smiling]
How interesting! Perhaps we should talk some more these days.

Alone in corner, Helen stairs at them with bitter eyes.


18.

INT. Later the same night. The prince walks down a hall, when Helen opens the door of her room.

Helen:
My lord…

The prince:
Yes?

Helen:
Would you like to come in?

The prince:
No. Not tonight. I’ve had a busy day.

And he walks away.

Helen:
[raising her voice]
Don’t go to him! Please. The people are talking, my lord!

The prince:
[turning back to her]
Really? And what do they say?

Helen:
They gossip. They say you spend more time with the foreigner than with you own wife, and your own family. They say bad things will happen to the country if you keep doing that.

The prince:
So what if they talk? Why do you care?

Helen:
[angry]
We are still husband and wife and you must still rule this country, not have childish affairs with your playmates!

The prince:
[he speaks slowly, as waking up from a dream]
I… I’ll think about your words…

He turns around and walks away from her, entering his bedroom.

No comments: